T-34 and the IDF: The Untold Story – ABT 709
The T-34 arrived in the Middle East in 1955. The tank, a reliable vehicle from World War II, quickly became the main battle tank for the Egyptian Army. During the Sinai Campaign of 1956, Israeli Shermans and AMX-13s met it in battle for the first time, and by the end of the operation, the IDF had captured several. The T-34s were driven through the streets of Tel Aviv as a symbol of the victory that had defended the fledgeling state. Afterwards, the IDF tested and studied the tanks and integrated them into its Armored Corps’ training course. By 1967, Syria and Egypt had purchased hundreds of T-34s, and the tank was considered a threat that the Israeli army would meet in their next war.
Authors: Michael Mass & Ma’or Levy
Photos: 100s black & white and colour photos
Physical: Softcover, 290x210mm, portrait